Second Saturday Science – Geocaching 101
Bring Your Own GPS or smartphone and you could go home with a new iPad.
The Science Museum of Western Virginia will hold a geocaching demonstration and treasure hunt as part of its Second Saturday Science series on Saturday, November 10 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The program will begin and end at the Science Museum’s temporary location on the second floor of Tanglewood Mall.
“We want people to understand the science behind Global Positioning Systems or GPS,” said Science Museum Executive Director Jim Rollings. “GPS has become an integral part of everyday life and we want people to have the opportunity to see exactly how it works. Geocaching is a fun and engaging way to enjoy science.”
Geocaching, or using GPS units to find a hidden containers or “caches” has become hugely popular in the United States. A cache may be something as simple as a logbook, which searchers sign to prove they were there, or a buried container containing inexpensive trinkets. The enjoyment typically comes from the search more than the “treasure” itself.
If you’ve never tried this before, don’t worry. The Science Museum will conduct mini-seminars on the technology behind GPS and proper usage of GPS devices – including popular apps, which can be downloaded free on smartphones. The informal seminars will be held every half hour between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Then participants will be given a set of coordinates to which they must navigate. Once they have found the location they will need to take a picture of themselves at the spot, and either email or return to the Museum with the photographic proof of their success.
The names of those who complete the task will be entered into a drawing, which will be held at the Museum at 5:30 p.m. The first place winner will receive a new iPad. Gift certificates to Target and Game Stop will also be awarded. Each winner will also receive a one-year family membership to the Science Museum of Western Virginia. All participants will receive a free one-time admission pass to the Museum to use on a later visit. Winners must be at least 18 years of age, and must be present at the drawing to win.
Participants will need to bring their own GPS unit or smartphone. They will also need a camera to prove they found the secret spot. Admission to the science museum is required
* Start at the Science Museum of Western Virginia at Tanglewood Mall
* SMWV Admission Fees Apply
* Brief Orientation of Game will be Presented Every Half Hour by a Museum
* Number of Entries is Determined by Paid Admission.
* Must Be 18 or Older To Win
* Entry = Received Picture with Entrant Beside Found Location
* Entrant Must Be in the Picture with the Found Location
* Send Picture with Name, Address, and Phone Number by Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or Bring In Person to SMWV at Tanglewood by 5:00pm
* Drawing Will Take Place Inside SMWV at 5:30pm on 11/10/12
* Must Be Present To Win
* Winner Agrees to Photographs
* Winner is Responsible for All Applicable Taxes
* Employees, Volunteers, Consultants and Their Families Are Not Eligible.
* Participants Agree to Photographs and Names Being Published.